May 6, 2009

Home...?

'Home' is an ambiguous word.  What do people refer to as home and how and when does that change?  Is it where my parents live?  Is it where I shower and sleep?  Is it the city in which I work?  Is it where I have the most clothes in the cupboard?  The place I pay rent?  Where I know most people?
Having moved seven houses and four cities in these past 5 years, it's difficult to define the word 'home'.  People here are often surprised when I say 'I'm going home' or 'See you at home' in reference to GDL, especially as most of them having been here much longer, still would never refer to GDL as 'home'.  Whereas I, instinctively, have begun to refer to this little compound in the middle of this random village in rural Bagar, as home.
It's interesting to see the unique reasons for a place to transform into 'home' for individuals.  However it's often difficult to pinpoint and define the exact elements that are required for this transformation.  I guess in my case, although this is 'home' far away and SIGNIFICANTLY different from any other home, GDL still instills a feeling of physical/mental comfort and safety.  Simply my willingness and maybe even excitement to return to this gated square area every evening seems to be an amazing enough miracle to be able to call GDL 'home'.     
 

No comments:

Post a Comment